It’s 4pm Monday afternoon
Goodness, it looks like it was pretty brutal out there. A ground storm hit the leading pack on their way from Shaktoolik and Koyuk which slowed the teams down, made the trail difficult to find and seemingly made for challenging mushing. Once teams hit the coast the weather really can play a huge part in the outcome, as we well know, and it has once again caused a shake up in the standings.
All the mushers will be watching the weather forecast closely and making a decision of how long to rest their dogs before heading up the coast. The moving speeds of those on the trail currently look pretty good so I presume that particular storm passed. I also noticed some were travelling in pairs; never a silly idea along this stretch.
Before the race, mushers were told that because of insufficient freezing on Norton Bay, the trail would follow closer to the coastline, rather than head directly over the pack ice from Shak to Koyuk, as in previous years. I’m not sure the tracker line is accurately reflecting the new trail as sometimes they have to reroute the trail as the last minute due to conditions. If that is the case the trail team do their best to mark it and advise mushers of changes. Remember they are also battling Mother Nature and she can be fickle.
RED TEAM UPDATE
Aliy and team pulled into Shaktoolik at 12:41pm with Jessie Royer hot on their heels. Their run time from Unk of 6 hours 27 is certainly not the fastest, but also not the slowest in the top 20, so that’s something. The team just keeps on keeping on and that is all we could want. Good dogs!
Here’s an Aliy Cam from last year as the team mushed the trail from Shak to Koyuk.
BLACK TEAM UPDATE
Allen is camping his team at Eagle Island Hospitality Stop. He told us he would stop there as there are volunteers and a vet stationed there, and he thought we would all feel happier about that.
They have moved along nicely since leaving Grayling which is not surprising having banked 29 hours of rest at the checkpoint. We are really happy to see them progressing down the trail.
NOME UPDATE
Nome is starting to gear up for the arrival of mushers and teams. Today we picked up the kennels for the dogs. We will use these, in halves, in the dog yard for straw beds then we put them together to ship the dogs home.


The Dog Yard is starting to get prepared with all the drop bags stored in shipping containers ready for handler crews to claim them. We can’t set up our teams’ spots until they arrive in White Mountain so we have stored our kennels and supply bags until then.


Front Street is also getting ready. The arch has been moved into place over the weekend and today the finish banners were erected and the chute cordorned off. We’re ready and waiting! Come on little doggies!



The Black team is moving! (Yes, I have been obsessively hitting refresh for the last hour!)











Right now he is giving them a break half way to Shageluk along with Jeff Deeter, Brett Bruggerman and Monica Zappa. It’s possible they are at the “Big Yentna Crossing”cabin (I am not certain of that, I am just going by the cabin map – right).


